Newark Town Band was founded in 1956, up until the mid fifties there had been a Newark Royal British Legion Band which then ceased to exist. The founder of Newark Town Band the late
Mr Robert English, along with other interested parties who had been involved in the Royal British Legion Band decided to hold a Meeting in December 1956, at the meeting a decision was made to start a new town band. Instruments were obtained, firstly on loan, then later purchased from the recently defunct Southwell Band. A collection was also taken to raise funds to be able to rent a rehearsal room, other funds were raised by playing Christmas carols. The first rehearsal room was at the Spread Eagle pub on Middlegate. During 1957 the membership grew, Mr Robert English was a Civilian Musical Director with the Royal Air Force and also a Music Teacher and Brass Instructor for schools in the Newark area. He soon had lots of youngsters joining the band, some of those youngsters are back in the band again now including Mr David Gatiss (Cornet player) and Mr Roger Bryan (Cornet player). The first official public engagement was on a Sunday evening in March 1958 at the Savoy cinema on Middlegate (now the Halifax Building Society).
During the 1960s the band was involved in all the Civic events in the town as well as Christmas concerts in the Parish Church, concerts in the Town Hall ballroom, Sunday afternoon concerts in the Castle grounds and concerts in the Palace Theatre. Happily once again the band are playing at these venues.
The Band’s 50th Anniversary concert was held at the Palace Theatre in 2006. There was also a social side to the band, this included a ladies section (mothers and wives of players) who worked hard in raising funds, a Junior section (which operated as a youth club), the band even had a Football team.
|The Band 2|
|The Band 3|